عنوان مقاله [English]
A peptic ulcer is a common disease. One of the goals of therapy is using drugs with fewer side effects. This study aimed to investigate the effect of Scrophularia strata (Scrophularia) extract in the prevention of gastric ulcers induced by indomethacin in rats. Overall, 64 male Wistar rats were divided into 8 groups. Experimental groups including 1- control group that received normal saline 0.9% and at the last day received 48 mg indomethacin. 2- Ascorbic acid 50 mg/kg -indomethacin treatment; 3- Omeprazole 10 mg/kg-indomethacin treatment; 4- Ranitidine 50 mg/kg-indomethacin treatment; 5- S. strata 10 mg/kg –indomethacin treatment; 6- S. strata 50 mg/kg -indomethacin treatment; 7- S. strata 100 mg/kg-indomethacin treatment; 8- S. strata 150 mg/kg-indomethacin treatment. After macroscopic examination, stomach tissue was studied to examine the enzymes catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and superoxide dismutase. Catalase and glutathione peroxidase activity levels in S. strata 50, 100 and 150 mg/kg treatment was significantly increased compared with the control group (P<0.001). The superoxide dismutase activity in S. strata 100 and 150 mg/kg treatment was significantly increased compared with the control group (P<0.001). Stomach tissue damage significantly decreased in the group receiving 100 and 150 mg/kg S. strata and group receiving ranitidine and indomethacin compared to control (P<0.001). S. strata extract increased catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and superoxide dismutase and dose-dependently prevented the stomach tissue damage (by increasing the level of endogenic antioxidant).
1. Haghighi A., Salehi Z., Aminian K., Asl F., 2014. Functional assessment of mitochondrial DNA 4977 bp deletion in peptic ulcer disease. Journal of Birjand University of Medical Science,21(1): 48-55.
2. Hajiaghaee R., Monsef‐Esfahani H.R., Khorramizadeh M.R., Saadat F., Shahverdi A.R., Attar F., 2007. Inhibitory effect of aerial parts of Scrophularia striata on matrix metalloproteinases expression. Phytotherapy Research, 21(12): 1127-1129.
3. Hasani R.B., Sajadis S., Khaksari M., Shariati M., 2001. Protective effect of fish oil against Indomethacin induced gastric ulcer in rats. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Science, 17(17): 3-10
4. Mozaffari I., Rashidi M., Taherimoghadam A., 2005. Study of anti-inflammatory and healing effects of Achillea millefolium in the treatment of indomethacin-induced gasthic ulcer in rat. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Science, 33(9): 9-13.
5. Niazmandi S., Kooshaki M., Sookhtanloo M., Nemati M., Kianoosh T., Sadeghnia H.R., 2012. The preventive effects of aqous-ethanolic extract of achillea wilhelmsii on indomethacine-induced ulcer and related biochemical factors in rats. Urmia Medical Journal, 23(2): 209-217
6. Odabasoglu F., Cakir A., Suleyman H., Aslan A., Bayir Y., Halici M., 2006. Gastroprotective and antioxidant effects of usnic acid on indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology., 103(1): 59-65.
7. Pasban S., Niazmand S., 2012. The effect of hydroalcholic extracts of Nigella sativa on indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rat. North Khorasan University of Medical Science,340-345.
8. Pirbalouti A.G., Bahmani M., Avijgan M., 2009. Anti-Candida activity of some of the Iranian medicinal plants. Electronic Journal of Biology, 5(4): 85-88.
10. Rezaie-Tavirani M., Mortazavi S.A., Barzegar M., Moghadamnia S.H., Rezaee M.B., 2010. Study of anti cancer property of Scrophularia striata extract on the human astrocytoma cell line Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2010: 403-410
11. Rezvanjoo B., Baghaikia A., Moayer F., Ghafari M., Shirazi B.S., 2013. Comparison of the effects of omeprazole and rabeprazole in prevention of indomethacin induced gastric ulcers in rats. Journal of Veteriary and Clinical Research, 1(13): 1-10.
12. Sharafati-chaleshtori R., Sharafati-chaleshtori F., Sharafati-chaleshtori A., Ashrafi K., 2010. Antibacterial effects and evaluation of total phenols, flavonoids and flavonols contents of ethanolic extracts of Scrophularia striata. Journal of Shahrekord University of Medical Science, 2010: 32-37.
13. Shouhani B., Hemati A.A., Taheri M.M., 2010. Effects of scrophularia striata extract on wound healing in rabbit. SJIMU, 17(4): 9-16.
14. Souza M., Troncon L., Cunha F., Oliveira R., 2003. Decreased gastric tone and delayed gastric emptying precede neutrophil infiltration and mucosal lesion formation in indomethacin-induced gastric damage in rats.Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 36(10): 1383-1390.
15. Swarnakar S., Ganguly K., Kundu P., Banerjee A., Maity P., Sharma A.V., 2005. Curcumin regulates expression and activity of matrix metalloproteinases 9 and 2 during prevention and healing of indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 280(10): 9409-9415.
16. Wallace J.L., 2000. How do NSAIDs cause ulcer disease? Best Practice and Research Clinical Gastroenterology, 14(1): 147-159.