عنوان مقاله [English]
Gestational diabetes is a variable amount of glucose intolerance initially diagnosed or diagnosed during pregnancy and can induce developmental disorders in different parts of CNS. We investigated the effect of extract of Panax ginseng on histomorphometric changes oncerebrum and cerebellum in 14 d offspring'srat from diabetic mothers. Sixteen rats were divided into four groups: non-diabetic control, non-diabetic recipient of the extract, diabetic control and diabetic recipient of the extract. Diabetes was induced by streptozotocin in diabetic groups and all 4 groups became pregnant. During the pregnancy, recipient of the extract groups received Ginseng extract at the dose of 400 mg/kg of body weight every day. Overall, 14 d of normal delivery; offspring's were anesthetized. The cerebrum and cerebellum were removed by cutting the skull. After using the techniques of histology, some histological factors were measured. Data were analyzed using SPSS software and ANOVA and Duncan statistical tests. A significant reduction was observed in gray matter thickness and cell count of cerebrum and white matter cell count of cerebellum in diabetic control group than non-diabetic groups (P≤0.05). In addition, a significant reduction was observed in white matter cell count of cerebrum in diabetic control group than other groups (P≤0.05). Extract of P. ginseng could control hyperglycemia and manage diabetes on the cerebrum and cerebellum disorders in offspring's of mothers with gestational diabetes by increasing β-cells stimulation and increase insulin production.
1. Aberg A., Westbom L., Kallen B., 2002. Congenital malformation among infants whose mothers had gestational diabetes or pre-existing diabetes. Early Human Development, 61: 85-95.
2. Abo-Raya A.O., Alfky N.A., Elgazar M.F., 2013. Anti-obesity and antidiabetic activities of red ginseng plant extract in obese diabetic male rats. Global Journal of Pharmacology, 7 (4): 390-397.
3. Anwar M.M., Meki A.R., 2004. Oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats: Effects of garlic oil and melatonin. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular and Integrative Physiology, 135(4): 539-547.
4. Attele A.S., Wu J.A., Yuan C.S., 1999. Ginseng pharmacology: multiple constituents and multiple actions. Biochemistry and Pharmacology, 58: 1685-1693.
5. Balakumar P., Chakkarwar V.A., Singh, M., 2009. Ameliorative effect of combination of benfotiamine and fenofibrate in diabetes-induced vascular endothelial dysfunction and nephropathy in the rat. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 320: 149-162.
6. Beauquis J., Saravia F., Coulaud J., Roig P., Dardenne M., Homo-Delarche F., 2008. Prominently decreased hippocampal neurogenesis in a spontaneous model of type 1 diabetes, thenonobese diabetic mouse. Experimental Neurology, 210(2): 359-367.
7. Bi L., Tian X., Dou F., Hong L., Tang H., Wang S., 2012. New antioxidant and antiglycation active triterpenoid saponins from the root bark of Aralia taibaiensis. Fitoterapia, 83(1): 234-240.
8. Bin N.H., Min G.J., Tong H.K., 2013. The efficacy of red ginseng in type 1 and type 2 diabetes in animals. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Article ID 593181, 7 pages.
9. Braak E.W., Evers I.M., Willem Erkelens D., Visser G.H., 2002. Maternal hypoglycemia during pregnancy in type 1 diabetes: maternal and fetal consequences. Diabetes Metabolism Research Review, 18(2): 96-105.
11. Cho W.C., Chung W.S., Lee S.K., Leung A.W., Cheng C.H., Yue K.K., 2006. Ginsenoside Re of Panax ginseng possesses significant antioxidant and anti hyperlipidemic efficacies in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. European Journal of Pharmacology, 550: 173-179.
12. Dae Y., Daily J., Hyun J., Park S., 2010. Antidiabetic effects of fermented soybean products on type 2 diabetes. Nutrition Research, 30(1): 1-13.
13. Deng Y., He K., Ye X., Chen X., Huang J., Li X., 2012. Saponin rich fractions from Polygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce with more potential hypoglycemic effects. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 141(1): 228-233.
14. Hami J., Sadr-Nabavi A., Sankian M., Balali-Mood M., Haghir H., 2013. The effects of maternal diabetes on expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 and insulin receptors in male developing rat hippocampus. Brain Structure and Function, 218(1): 73-84.
15. Hashemi S., Khaksar Z., Rafati A.R., 2015. Morphometric study of the effect of walnut (Juglans Regia) leaf extract on cerebrum malformation in offsprings of diabetic rats. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 8(1): 467-475.
16. Hashemi S., Khaksar Z., Tadjalli M., 2015. Morphometric study of the effect of Walnut (Juglans regia) leaf extract on cerebrum malformation in fetuses of diabetic rats. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 7(2): 441-445.
17. Hosseini S., Amoghli-Tabrizi B., Mazlom Mogaddam S., 2011. Evaluation at ginseng on lipid profiles, liver and renal markers in diabetic rats. ZUMS Journal, 19(75): 11-17.
18. Hoveyda, N., Shield, J.P, Garrett, C., Chong, W.K., Beardsall, K. and Bentsi-Enchill. E. 1999. Neonatal diabetes mellitus and cerebellar hypoplasia/agenesis: report of a new recessive syndrome. Journal of Medical Genetics, 36: 700-704.
19. Jackson-Guilford J., Leander J.D., Nisenbaum L.K., 2000. The effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on cell proliferation in the rat dentate gyrus. Neuroscience Letters, 293(2): 91-94.
20. Jafari Barmak M., Khaksar Z., 2012. Effect of Aloe vera extract on testicular tissue of embryo of diabetic rats. Armaghane-danesh, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences Journal, 17(2): 149-155.
21. Jones C.W., 2001. Gestational diabetes and its impact on the neonate. Neonatal Network, 20(6): 17-23.
22. Kainer F., Prechtl H.F., Engele H., Einspieler C., 1997. Assessment of the quality of general movements in fetuses and infants of women with type-I diabetes mellitus. Early Human Development, 50(1): 13-25.
23. Khaksar Z., Hematian H., Jelodar G.A., 2010. Morphological changes in the brachial enlargement of the spinal cord in offspring of diabetic rat. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research, Shiraz University, 11(2): 119-124.
24. Khaksar Z., Jelodar G.A., Hematian H., 2010. Effect of maternal diabetes on morphometric changes of cerebellum in offsprings of rats.Journal of Shaheed Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences,18(1): 56-63.
25. Khaksar Z., Jelodar G.A., Hematian H., 2011. Cerebrum malformation in offspring of diabetic mothers. Comparative Clinical Pathology, DOI: 10.1007/s00580-010-1160-1169.
26. Khaksar Z., Jelodar G.A., Hematian H., 2011. Morphometric study of cerebrum in fetuses of diabetic mothers. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research, Shiraz University, 12(3): 199-204.
27. Khaksar Z., Tajali M., Hashemi S.S., 2012. Effects of Juglans Regia Leaves thanolic Extract on Changes of Spinal Cord Lumbo-Sacral Region in Diabetic Rats Fetus. Armaghane-danesh, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, 17(5): 449-459.
28. Kimura M., Waki I., Chujo T., Kikuchi T., Hiyama C., Yamazaki K., Tanaka O., 1981. Effects of hypoglycemic components in ginseng radix on blood insulin level in alloxan diabetic mice and on insulin release from perfused rat pancreas. Journal of Pharmacobiodynamics,4: 410-417.
29. Kinney B.A., Rabe M.B., Jensen R.A., Steger R.W., 2003. Maternal hyperglycemia leads to genderdependent deficits in learning and memory in offspring. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 228(2): 152-159.
30. Kitts D.D., Wijewickreme A.N., Hu C., 2000. Antioxidant properties of a North American ginseng extract. Molecular and Cell Biochemistry,203: 1-10.
31. Kumar A., 1993. Chemopreventive action of ginseng on DMBA induced skin papillomagenesis in the skin of Swiss albino mice. Proceedings of the 6th International Ginseng Symposium; Sept 6-9; Seoul Olympic Parktel. Seoul, Korea: Korea Ginseng and Tobacco Research Institute, pp: 66-68.
32. Lampl M., Jeanty P., 2004. Exposure to maternal diabetes is associated with altered fetal growth patterns: A hypothesis regarding metabolic allocation to growth under hyperglycemic-hypoxemic conditions. American Journal of Human Biology, 16(3): 237-263.
33. Lee M.R., Yun B.S., In O.H., Sung C.K., 2011. Comparative Study of Korean White, Red, and Black Ginseng Extract on Cholinesterase Inhibitory Activity and Cholinergic Function. Journal of Ginseng Research, 35(4): 421-428.
34. Luis-Rodríguez D., Martínez-Castelao V., Gorriz J.L., De-Alvaro F., Navarro-Gonzalez J.F., .2012. Pathophysiological role and therapeutic implications of inflammation in diabetic nephropathy. World Journal of Diabetes, 15: 7-18.
35. Luo J.Z., Luo L., 2009. Ginseng on Hyperglycemia: Effects and Mechanisms. ECAM, 6(4): 423-427.
36. Nakamura U., Iwase M., Uchizono Y., Sonoki K., Sasaki N., Imoto H., Goto D., Iida M., 2006. Rapid intracellular acidification and cell death by H2O2 and alloxan in pancreatic ß cells. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 40: 2047-2055.
37. Ohnishi Y., Takagi S., Miura T., Usami, M., Kako M., Ishihara E., Yano H., Tanigawa K., Seino Y., 1996. Effect of ginseng radix on GLUT2 protein content in mouse liver in normal and epinephrine induced hyperglycemic mice. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin,19: 1238-1240.
38. Omar E.A., Kam A., Alqahtani A., Li K.M., Razmovski V., Nammi S., 2010. Herbal medicines and nutraceuticals for diabetic vascular complications: mechanisms of action and bioactive phytochemicals. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16: 3776-3807.
39. Reagan L.P., Gorovits N., Hoskin, E.K., Alves S.E., Katz E.B., Grillo C.A., 2001. Localization and regulation of GLUTx1 glucose transporter in the hippocampus of streptozotocin diabetic rats. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 98(5): 2820-2825.
40. Saravia F.E., Revsin Y., Gonzalez Deniselle M.C., Gonzalez S.L., Roig P. and Lima A., 2002. Increased astrocyte reactivity in the hippocampus of murine models of type 1 diabetes: the nonobese diabetic (NOD) and streptozotocin-treated mice. Brain Research, 957(2): 345-353.
41. Skyler J.S., 2004. Diabetes mellitus: Pathogenesis and treatment strategies. Journal of Medical Chemistry, 47: 4113-4117.
42. Sreelatha S., Inbavalli R., 2012. Antioxidant, antihyperglycemic, and antihyperlipidemic effects of Coriandrum sativum leaf and stem in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Journal of Food Science, 77(7): 119-123.
43. Tehranipour M., Khakzad M.R., 2008. Effect of maternal diabetes on hippocampus neuronal density in neonatal rats. Journal of Biological Sciences, 8: 1027-1032.
44. Vaya J., Aviram M., 2002. Nutritional antioxidants: mechanism of action, analyses of activities and medical applications. Current Medicinal Chemistry-Immunology, Endocrine and Metabolic Agents, 1: 99-117.
45. Vuksan V., Sung M.K., Sievenpiper J.L., Stavro P.M., Jenkins A.L., Di Buono M., 2006. Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng) improves glucose and insulin regulation in well-controlled, type 2 diabetes: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of efficacy and safety. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, 18: 46-56.
46. Wang B.X., Zhou Q.L., Yang M., Wang Y., Cui Z.Y., Liu Y.Q., Ikejima T., 2003. Hypoglycemic mechanism of ginseng glycopeptide. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica,24: 61-66.
47. Xie J.T., Mehendale S., Yuan C.S., 2005. Ginseng and diabetes. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 33(3): 397-404.
48. Yang, C., Wang, J., Zhao, Y., Shen, L., Jiang, X. and Xie, Z., 2010. Anti-diabetic effects of Panax notoginseng saponins and its major anti-hyperglycemic components. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 130(2): 231-236.
49. Yoo K., Lee C., Lo Y., Moon B., 2012. The hypoglycemic effects of American red ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) on a diabetic mouse model. Journal of Food Science, 77(7): 147-152.
50. Zhang W., Zheng L., Zhang Z., Hai C., 2012. Protective effect of a water-soluble polysaccharide from Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge on insulin resistance in rats. Carbohydrate Polymers, 89: 890-898.
51. Zhu S., Zou K., Cai S., Meselhy M.R., Komatsu K., 2004. Simultaneous determination of triterpene saponins in ginseng drugs by high performance liquid chromatography. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 52: 995-998.