عنوان مقاله [English]
Plants are used as pharmaceutical sources in the health system of various countries in the world. Berberis integerrima contains vitamin C and polyphenol. Based on previous studies, vitamin C plays a role in the bronchoconstriction of muscles. Thus, this study attempted to evaluate the effect of this extract on level of tracheal muscle tension. Since the sympathetic nervous system plays a role in the relaxation of tracheal muscles and the substances in this plant are likely to play such a role, the present study investigated the interaction of the effect of extract with the adrenergic system. A number of 14 male rats were kept in an animal room under normal conditions. Each of them was anesthetized by intraperitoneal injection of 1/2 g/kg of urethane, divided into 3 mm rings, and then placed in a tissue floating bath (containing Krebs solution). The tissues were connected to a power transducer which was also connected to a bridge amplifier with the function of amplifying the signal. Then, the data were recorded by a system called Power lab. Ultimately, they were compared using Independent-sample T test. The effective dose of the extract was obtained as 80 mg/kg. This dose was added to the tissues and then epinephrine and propranolol were added respectively. Findings: A significant reduction was observed in tracheal rings tension in the presence of the extract in comparison to the control group. Such an effect was fixed even after adding epinephrine as the agonist of the adrenergic system and propranolol as the agonist of β2 receptor. The hydro alcoholic extract of Berberis integerrima affects the tension of tracheal smooth muscle and loosens it. This effect interacts with the adrenergic pathway while such an interaction is not probably through β2 receptors.
1. Ashraf H., Heidari R., Nejati V., Ilkhanipoor M., 2013. Aqueous extract of Berberis integerrima root improves renal dysfunction in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Avicenna Journal of phytomedicine, 3(1): 82-90.
2. Ashraf H., Heidari R., Nejati V., 2014. Antihyperglycemic and Antihyperlipidemic Effects of Fruit Aqueous Extract of Berberis integerrima Bge. in Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Rats. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 13(4): 1313-1318.
3. Barnes P.J., 1992. Modulation of neurotransmission in airways. Physiological Reviews, 2(3): 699-729.
4. Casassa L.F., Harbertson J.F., 2014. Extraction, evolution, and sensory impact of phenolic compounds during red wine maceration. Annual Review of Food Science and Technology, 5: 83-109.
5. Dawson W., West G.B., 1965. The Influence of Ascorbic Acid on Histamin Metabolism in Guinea-Pigs. British Journal of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, 24: 725-734.
6. Franova S., Nosalova G., Pechanova O., Sutovska M., 2007. Red wine polyphenolic compounds inhibit tracheal smooth muscle contraction during allergen-induced hyperreactivity of the airways. The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 59(5): 727-732.
7. Hemila H., 2014. The effect of vitamin C on bronchoconstriction and respiratory symptoms caused by exercise: a review and statistical analysis. Allergy, asthma, and clinical immunology. Official Journal of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 10(1): 58-65.
8. Hyde D.M., Hamid Q., Irvin C.G., 2009. Anatomy, pathology, and physiology of the tracheobronchial tree: emphasis on the distal airways. The Journal of Allergy and clinical Immunology, 124(6 Suppl): S72-S77.
9. Ichinose M., 1998. Airway autonomic nervous system dysfunction and asthma. Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi,111(4):195-203.
10. Johnson M., 2006. Molecular mechanisms of beta (2)-adrenergic receptor function, response, and regulation. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 117(1): 18-24.
11. Khajoei Nasab F., Khosravi A.R., 2014. Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants of Sirjan in Kerman Province, Iran. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 154(1): 190-197.
12. Li F., De Godoy M., Rattan S., 2004. Role of adenylate and guanylate cyclases in beta1-, beta2-, and beta3-adrenoceptor-mediated relaxation of internal anal sphincter smooth muscle. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 308(3): 1111-1120.
13. Nagatomo T., Koike K., 2000. Recent advances in structure, binding sites with ligands and pharmacological function of beta-adrenoceptors obtained by molecular biology and molecular modeling. Life Sciences, 66(25): 2419-2426.
14. Pozniakovskii V.M., Golub O.V., Popova D.G., Kovalevskaia I.N., 2003. The use of barberry berries in human nutrition. Voprosy Pitaniia,72(4): 46-49.
15. Proskocil B.J., Fryer A.D., 2005. Beta 2-agonist and anticholinergic drugs in the treatment of lung disease. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2(4): 305-310.
16. Sabahi Z., Farmani F., Soltani F., Moein M., 2018. DNA protection, antioxidant and xanthine oxidase inhibition activities of polyphenol-enriched fraction of Berberis integerrima Bunge fruits. Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences, 21(4): 411-416.
17. Tanaka Y., Yamashita Y., Yamaki F., Horinouchi T., Shigenobu K., Koike K., 2003. MaxiK channel mediates beta2-adrenoceptor-activated relaxation to isoprenaline through cAMP-dependent and -independent mechanisms in guinea-pig tracheal smooth muscle. Journal of Smooth Muscle Research, 39(6): 205-219.
18. Torphy T.J., 1994. Beta-adrenoceptors, cAMP and airway smooth muscle relaxation: challenges to the dogma. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, 15(10): 370-374.