عنوان مقاله [English]
Chemical pesticides cause liver dysfunction. The study was aimed at investigating the effects of Bacillus coagulants and Lactobacillus casei probiotics on liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride(CCl4) in male rats. In this experimental study, 40 adult male Wistar rats were divided into 5 groups: control group (normal saline, 0.5 ml/day), sham group (Olive oil, 0.5 ml/day), placebo group (CCl4 in the ratio of 1:1 with Olive oil, 2ml/kg body weight, single dose), and treatment groups (CCl4 and Lactobacillus casei or Bacillus coagulans probiotics(. Liver damage was induced by intraperitoneal injection of CCl4 and probiotic treatment with a dose of 109 CFU for 35 days as gavage. One day after the last gavage, the levels of liver enzymes were measured and the histology of the liver tissue was assessed by hematoxylin-eosin staining. The obtained data was analyzed using one way ANOVA, Tukey test and p4 was significantly higher than that of the control and the sham groups (p<0.05). However, they showed a significant reduction in the treatment groups compared to the group receiving CCl4 (p<0.001). Liver tissue damage was also observed in the group receiving CCl4 compared to the control and the sham groups (p<0.001). The recovery in the liver tissue was observed in the group treated with probiotics compared to the group receiving CCl4 (p<0.05). Bacillus coagulans and Lactobacillus casei probiotics might reduce the destructive effects of CCl4 on the liver tissue through stimulating the secretion of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds.
1. Abdel-Salam O.M., Sleem A.A., Shaffie N.M., 2010.Effect of Viscum album on acute hepatic damage caused by carbon tetrachloride in rats. Turkish Journal of Medical Science, 40(3): 421-426.
3. Banas A., Teratani T., Yamamoto Y., Tokuhara M., Takeshita F., Osaki M., et al., 2008.IFATS collection: in vivo therapeutic potential of human adipose tissue mesenchymal stem cells after transplantation into mice with liver injury. Stem Cells, 26(10): 2705-2712.
4. Chen C.C., Lin W.C., Kong M.S., Shi H.N., Walker W.A., Lin C.Y., et al., 2012.Oral inoculation of probiotics Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM suppresses tumour growth both in segmental orthotopic colon cancer and extra-intestinal tissue. British Journal of Nutrition, 107(11):1623-1634.
5. Cho K.A., Ju SY., Cho S.J., Jung Y.J., Woo S.Y., Seoh JY, et al., 2009.Mesenchymal stem cells showed the highest potential for the regeneration of injured liver tissue compared with other subpopulations of the bone marrow. Cell Biology International, 33(7): 772-777.
6. de Roos N.M., Katan M.B., 2000.Effects of probiotic bacteria on diarrhea, lipid metabolism, and carcinogenesis: a review of papers published between 1988 and 1998. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 71(2):405-411.
7.Doherty R.E.,2000. A History of the Production and Use of Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethylene, Trichloroethylene and 1,1,1-Trichloroethane in the United States: Part 1--Historical Background; Carbon Tetrachloride and Tetrachloroethylene. Journal of Environmental Forensics, 1(2): 69-81
8.Eidi A., Ghalam Z., Rezazade Sh R., Adeli R., 2011.Hepatoprotective effect of Berberis vulgaris L. extract on CCl4-induced toxicity in rats. Kowsar Medical Journal. 16(3): 169-173.[In Persian]
9. Escorsell A., Mas A., de la Mata M.., 2007.Acute liver failure in Spain: Analysis of 267 cases. Liver Transpantation, 13(10):1389-1395.
10 .Ferolla S.M., Armiliato G.N., Couto C.A., Ferrari T.C., 2015.Probiotics as a complementary therapeutic approach in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. World Journal of Hepatology, 7(3): 559-565.
11.Ferre N., Camps K., Cabre M., Paul A., Joven J.,2001.Hepatic paraoxygenase activity alterations and free radical production in rats with experimental cirrhosis. Metabolism, 50(9): 997-1000.
12. Fuller R., Gibson G.R., 1997. Modification of intestinal microflora using probiotics and prebiotics. Scandinavian journal of Gastroenterology ,222: 28-31.
13. Garca-Arrars J.E., Dolmatov I.Y., 2010. Echinoderms; potential model systems for studies on muscle regeneration. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16(8): 942-955.
14.He S.X., Luo J.Y., Wang Y.P., Wang Y.L., Fu H., Xu J.L., 2006. Effects of extract from Ginkgo biloba on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury in rats. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 12(24): 3924-3928.
15. Kelly J.H., Koussayer T., He D-E., Chong M.G., Shang T.A., Whisennand H.H., et al.,1992. An improved model of acetaminophen induced fulminant hepatic failure in dogs. Hepatology ,15(2):329-335.
16. Kim J.Y., Kwon J.H., Ahn S.H, Lee S.I., Han Y.S., Choi Y.O., et al., 2010.Effect of probiotic mix (Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus) in the primary prevention of eczema: a double-blind, randomized, placebocontrolled trial. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 21(2):386-393.
17. Kim S.J, Park K.C., Lee J.U., Kim K.J., Kim D.G., 2011.Therapeutic potential of adipose tissue-derived stem cells for liver failure according to the transplantation routes. Journal of Korean Surgical Society, 81(3): 176-186.
18 Loguercio C., Federico A., Tuccillo C., Terracciano F., D'Auria M.V., De Simone C., et al., 2005.Beneficial effects of a probiotic VSL#3 on parameters of liver dysfunction in chronic liver diseases. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 39(6): 540-543.
19. Ma Y.Y., Li L., Yu C.H, Shen Z., Chen L.H., Li Y.M., 2013.Effects of probiotics on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a meta-analysis. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 19(40): 6911-6918.
20. Malaguarnera M., Vacante M., Antic T., Giordano M., Chisari G., Acquaviva R., et al., 2012.Bifidobacterium longum with fructo-oligosaccharides in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Digestive Disease Science , 57(2)545--553.
21. Miloh T., 2015.Probiotics in Pediatric Liver Disease. Journal Clincal of Gastroenterology, 49(1): 33-36.
22. Mitra V., Metcalf J., 2012.Metabolic functions of the liver. Anaesth Intensive Care Medicine, 13(2):54-55.
23.Ozbek H., Ozturk M., Bayarm I., Ugras S., Citoglu G.S., 2003.Hypoglycemic and hepatoprotective effects of Foeniculum vulgar Miller seed fixed oil extract in mice and rats. Eastern Journal of Medicine, 8(2): 35-40.
24. Pace F., Pace M., Quartarone G., 2015.Probiotics in digestive diseases: focus on Lactobacillus GG. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietologica, 61(4): 273-292.
25. Pulavendran S., Vignesh J., Rose C., 2010.Differential anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic activity of transplanted mesenchymal vs hematopoietic stem cells in carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury in mice. International Immunopharmacology, 10(4):513-51 9.
26.Ritze Y., Bardos G., Claus A., et al., 2014.Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG protects against nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. PLoS One, 9(1): 80169.
27.Sanges M., Valente G., Rea M., Della Gatta R., De Franchis G., Sollazzo R., et al., 2009.Probiotics in spondyloarthropathy associated with ulcerative colitis: a pilot study. European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, 3(3): 233-234.
28. Savcheniuk O., Kobyliak N., Kondro M., Virchenko O., Falalyeyeva T., Beregova T., 2014.Short-term periodic consumption of multiprobiotic from childhood improves insulin sensitivity, prevents development of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and adiposity in adult rats with glutamate-induced obesity. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 16(14): 247-257.
29. Tunon M.J., Alvarez M., Culebras J.M., Gonzalez-Gallego J., 2009.An overview of animal models for investigating the pathogenesis and therapeutic strategies in acute hepatic failure. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 15(25):3086-3098.
30. Venukumar M.R., Latha M.S., 2002.Hepatoprotective of the methanolic extract of Curculigo orchioides in CCl4-treated male rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 34(4): 269-275.
31. Wildt S., Nordgaard I., Hansen U., Brockmann E., Rumessen J.J., 2011.A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial with Lactobacillus acidophilus La-5 and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB-12 for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Journal of Crohns and Colitis, 5(2): 115-121.